There is so much that is written and spoken about pregnancy – All that is so beautiful, so encouraging, so mesmerising! All those women – famous, powerful, beautiful, desirable and mothers – have often contributed with their so called experience or wisdom and given some solid statements about their pregnancies or deliveries. While most of them are always soothing to the heart – some have a twist in the tale – something so absurd said or written, that makes you wonder whether they were being positive about being pregnant or being sarcastic!
Here is a compilation of all those weird quotes – to spin your head around – tickle you – give you stupid thoughts – entertain you (While deep inside you already know how beautiful, serene and spiritually elevating is this experience of being pregnant – regardless of what others have to tell you about it!)
1. “Having a baby is like getting a tattoo on your face. You really need to be certain it’s what you want before you commit.”
– By Elizabeth Gilbert (In her famous book ‘Eat Pray Love’)
2. Whether your pregnancy was meticulously planned, medically coaxed, or happened by surprise, one thing is certain – your life will never be the same.
– Catherine Jones
3. Everything grows rounder and wider and weirder, and I sit here in the middle of it all and wonder who in the world you will turn out to be.
– Carrie Fisher
5. Of course I can do this. I’m pregnant, not brain-damaged. My condition doesn’t change my personality.”
– Christine Feehan (Ruthless Game)
6. We only have babies when we’re young enough not to know how grim life turns out.
– Gregory Maguire (Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West)
7. Pregnancy seems designed to prepare you for life as a mother. You start making sacrifices nine months before the child is born, so by the time they put in an appearance you are used to giving things up for them.”
– Brett Kiellerop
8. That first pregnancy is a long sea journey to a country where you don’t know the language, where land is in sight for such a long time that after a while it’s just the horizon – and then one day birds wheel over that dark shape and it’s suddenly close, and all you can do is hope like hell that you’ve had the right shots.
– Emily Perkins (Novel about My Wife)
9. The world was full of dangers now that she was pregnant: mercury in tuna, hot tubs, beer, secondhand smoke, over-the-counter medicine. Not to mention crazy baby-abducting fairy kings.
– Jennifer McMahon
10. Men never feel quite the same about a woman’s body once they know it’s done that thing: widened and torn to push out a baby’s head.
– Emma Donoghue
11. If you want to know the value of a month, ask a pregnant woman, if a month matters in her pregnancy.
– Sunday Adelaja
12. Don’t worry. Here’s the thing I’ve learned about pregnancy. Everything feels like a crisis and everything turns out to be heartburn.
– Cammie McGovern
13. Life is tough enough without having someone kick you from the inside. – Rita Rudner
14. Think of stretch marks as pregnancy service stripes.
– Joyce Armor
15. By far the most common craving of pregnant women is not to be pregnant.
– Phyllis Diller
16. Childbirth provided the drama I craved, the thrill of peeking over the primal edge of creation, the rush of the unexpected.
– Peggy Vincent
17. I realize why women die in childbirth — it’s preferable.
– Sherry Glaser
18. Being pregnant is an occupational hazard of being a wife.
– Queen Victoria
20. When I got pregnant, I had to concentrate on being pregnant for a whole nine months, even though I knew it was ruining my career at the time.
– Yoko Ono